The enrollment of English Learners (EL’s) in the country’s public schools exceeds 5 million, and this number has been consistently rising. This rapid student population expansion means that schools, and classrooms, are increasingly a combination of cultural backgrounds and linguistic abilities, enriching the educational landscape for every EL and others alike. Unsurprisingly, most English learners in the country are predominantly Latinos, with approximately 77% of students reporting Spanish as their primary language at home.
For our Conoce tus Opciones Escolares team these families and students are personal, mirroring the concerns and conversations we have in our 1:1 interactions about school choice with Spanish speaking parents.
Some of the most frequently asked questions our parent users ask are: Is there a school that can help my child who doesn’t speak English? How will the school support my child if they don’t speak English? We are thrilled to provide answers in our favorite style: an Ultimate Guide breaking down context, national trends, and state-by-state guidance, out this August.
The Ultimate Guide to ELL or ESL contains:
- Definitions and terminologies that help parents understand the technicalities of this field
- A video with practical and inspirational advice from Sonia Águila, awarded by the US Department of Education as National Bilingual Teacher 2023.
- Local resources in all 50 states
- Details on types of ESL programs
- History of the program and federal guidelines for all schools
- Step-by-step information about how the average student transitions from EL to English proficient and how it works in different ESL models.
- Practical advice on how to help an English Learner at home.
- What ESL looks like in all different school choice options
We are overjoyed to share all this information with every parent that might need it, and we hope you share it with your Spanish speaking community!
For more information, or media inquiries in Spanish or in English on this subject, please email Lucía Matamoros at email@example.com.