26,000 schools and homeschool groups planning to raise awareness about opportunity in K-12 education as families adapt to a disrupted education system
MIAMI, FL – Following a year of dramatic change to K-12 education and the expansion of school choice options for families in 19 states, millions of students, parents, and educators are preparing to celebrate the twelfth annual National School Choice Week (Jan. 23-29). The Week is designed to both raise positive awareness of the need for and benefits of K-12 school choice, and to help parents navigate the unprecedented number of public, charter, magnet, private, online, and home education options available for their children.
During the Week, schools and homeschool groups will raise awareness in their communities by holding more than 26,000 independently-planned parent information sessions, pep rallies, winter carnivals, art contests, and other events. In addition, millions of parents are expected to use free resources developed by NSCW to assist in their search for the perfect learning environments.
Highlights from among 45 statewide events include:
- Arizona families will watch fireworks at a Western-themed school choice extravaganza
- Missourians will celebrate at the capitol two days in a row highlighting great schools
- Wisconsin students will perform at a talent show at the Packers’ Lambeau Field
- Parents in 13 states will consider all types of school on School Fair Saturday (Jan. 22)
- Students from all 50 states will unite in a kick-off video streamed nationwide
- Dozens of state and national landmarks will light up in honor of School Choice Week
- National survey results will reveal what parents factor into choosing a school
“I dare you to enter into National School Choice Week with an open mindset and not be moved by the kids whose lives are changed by their school choice,” said Andrew Campanella, President of the Week. “Every child deserves access to affordable school choices, so they can thrive today and become who they’re meant to be.”
Among efforts that focus on K-12 education, School Choice Week uniquely focuses on positive, practical information designed to make a family’s opportunity to choose from among traditional public schools, public charter schools, public magnet schools, online learning, private schools, and homeschooling as navigable and empowering as possible. This includes comprehensive roadmaps to educational options in each state, paired with a newly developed “Schools Near Me” tool to help parents start the selection process.